Events in Canada
Open Source Business Models and Sustainability
Noting things that have been said about sustaining FLOSS projects.
- How to pay professional maintainers
- Support open source that you use by paying the maintainers to talk to your team
Sources of funding
- Code for Canada Fellowships
- Google Summer of Code
- Mozilla Open Source Support(MOSS)
- OSS.fund list of monetiziation platforms for Open Source
- Grant for the Web
- Indeed FOSS Contributor Fund
- List of opportunities, grants, fellowship programs, contests and things like that for young ambitious people
- List of Microgrants
- SOS Rewards
- OSS Virtual Incubator
If you write a project and write about a project, monetizing that content could also be a useful way to sustain that work:
- ads and affiliate links
- Ideas to monetize your side projects.
There are various projects which are working to make it easier for new contributors. The following contains projects which mark issues beginner friendly, list of those projects, or tools to help find those projects.
Advice and discussions
- 6 Staring Points for Open Source Beginners
- Request For Commits – Episode #10: Finding New Contributors
Other tools for finding issues to work on
There are tools for finding things to work on in FLOSS projects, but are not specifically for beginners.